It was on the first of December 1914 that the Maserati Brothers founded Maserati, a marque destined to go down in motoring history, in Bologna. However, a year before, in 1913, Alfieri Maserati had opened an Isotta Fraschini garage in Bologna, although he only worked there for a short time before founding Società Anonima Alfieri Maserati. Initially, the Maserati business was a garage, operating in Bologna, at number 1 on Via de’ Pepoli; the Maserati Brothers started working on their own car designs, until the outbreak of the First World War.
During the Twenties and Thirties, the Maserati garage continued to turn out racing cars for sale all over the world, also producing on-road cars with all the marque’s distinctive elegance combined with sporty performance derived from the racing circuit. In 1937, when the Orsi family took over the management of the business, Maserati moved from its original headquarters in Bologna to a location in Modena, on Viale Ciro Menotti, where some of the marque’s key sports and GT cars are still designed and built today.