A place that would make history
The Maserati brothers were respected and highly regarded professionals and during the 30s motor racing was as popular as cycling and football. Corrado Filippini, a legendary Littoriale correspondent, Bolognese and sportsman, knew that the company was having a hard time financially speaking and he had an idea to help them. In Modena, about 40 kilometres from Bologna, there was an industrialist he knew who had risen from nothing and by the mid-30s, Orsi had become the city’s leading industrialist: his name was Adolfo Orsi, and he was just the man for the Trident company needed. The industrialist and the Maserati brothers agreed to meet at the 1936 Grand Prix of Modena. Orsi and the Maseratis liked each other immediately as they shared a great number of values: honesty, sincerity, transparency and they were all hard workers. On 1 May 1937, Adolfo Orsi became the owner of two companies: Officine Alfieri Maserati, which built racing cars, and Fabbrica Candele Maserati, which produced spark plugs. On the other side, the three brothers could concentrate solely on that which they knew best, the engineering side of the business: designing and building cars.