Maserati A6 1500

Maserati A6 1500

1947 to 1950

Early brochures identified it as the “Maserati Sport A6 – 1500 cc.” and shortly afterwards as the “Maserati A6 1500 c.c. Turismo”. Design work on the car started in 1941 under the guidance of the Maserati brothers, who remained in charge of development despite having sold the company to the Modenese industrialist Adolfo Orsi. It was Orsi who decided that Maserati should not limit itself solely to the production of racing cars and thus triggered the creation of the A6 1500 for its sporting clientele. In 1942 a test mule was assembled and Gigi Villoresi tested the car, however the factory was too heavily involved in the war effort to pursue its development. The marque’s first road model was finalised after the hostilities in Europe ceased, and was presented at the Geneva motor show in March 1947, where it created quite a stir.

Mechanically, the A6 1500 was powered by an straight-six long-stroke engine, with a single overhead camshaft and a single carburettor, producing 65 hp from a 1.5 litre power plant. Performance ranged from 146 to 154 kph (91 to 96 mph) depending on the reduction ratio. From 1949 onwards, a small number of cars were fitted with triple carburettors. The modern tubular frame chassis was established on a 2.55 metre wheelbase with coil-sprung suspension and all round Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers.

The first prototype sported a strikingly modern two-seat coupé body designed by Pinin Farina, which the coachbuilder from Turin toned down only slightly for the start of the actual production run. The styling evolved from early two-seat notchback coupés (with optional Plexiglas sunroof) to 2+2 fastback versions. Zagato was responsible for the coachwork for one car in the series, whilst Pinin Farina also added a convertible body, of which two were produced. This historical partnership was renewed decades later with the introduction of the GranTurismo, which takes its name from the A6 series. From 1950 the model was gradually replaced by the 2 litre A6G 2000.

Technical specifications

Model A6 1500 Turismo
Maserati internal code Tipo A6
Production start 1947
Number Produced 61
Ignition single-plug, Marelli ST95DAS coil ignition
Lubrication forced with single oil pump
Transmission 4-speed + reverse, rear wheel drive, dry multiplate clutch
Reduction 1.04.04
Gear ratios I= 3.68; II= 1.78; III= 1.35; IV= 1 R=6.20
Chassis tubular with two main side members and cross members in sheet steel
Front suspension independent with coil springs, hydraulic Houdaille dampers
Rear suspension rigid axle, coil springs, hydraulic Houdaille dampers and anti-roll bar
Brakes hydraulic drum brakes on all four wheels
Steering worm and sector
Cooling system water-cooled, centrifugal pump
Length 160.63 inches (4,080 mm)
Width 59.84 inches (1,520 mm)
Height 53.15 inches (1,350 mm)
Wheelbase 100.39 inches (2,550 mm)
Front track 1,274 mm
Rear track 1,251 mm
Dry weight 2,094 lbs (950 kg), spider 1,763 lbs (800 kg)
Kerb weight 1,190 Kg
Tyres 5.50x16 Pirelli
Wheels steel or wire wheels; 3.50x16
Top speed 90.5-95 mph (146-153.5 km/h)
Bodywork two-door, 2-seater coupé, 2+2 coupé or spyder
Fuel tank 12.65 Imperial gallons (55 litres)
Range 450 km
Production dates 1947-1950
Engine straight 6
Bore and stroke 66x72.5 mm
Total displacement 1,488.24 cc
Displacements (unitary) 248.04 cc
Compression ratio 7.25.01
Maximum power 65 bhp at 4,700 rpm
Timing gear two valves per cylinder, single overhead camshaft
Fuel feed naturally aspirated with a single Weber 36DCR carburettor (three-carburettor Weber 36 DO2 set-up on request)
Weight distribution 46% front / 54% rear